We know family management can be challenging, especially when you or your children struggle with ADHD. Below you will find some helpful tips to assist you with the day to day. Also check out Nanny’s Circle, our complete family management app. Give Nanny 20 minutes a week, and she’ll take care of the rest!
- Take care of yourself so you’re better able to care for your child. Eat right, exercise, get enough sleep, find ways to reduce stress, and seek face-to-face support from family and friends as well as your child’s doctor and teachers. If you are lashing out in anger because you are overtired or stressed, then you are contributing to the problem.
- Establish structure and stick to it. Help your child stay focused and organized by following daily routines, simplifying your child’s schedule, and keeping your child busy with healthy activities.
- Set clear expectations. Make the rules of behavior simple and explain what will happen when they are obeyed or broken—and follow through each time with a reward or a consequence. Consistency is key.
- Encourage exercise and sleep. Physical activity improves concentration and promotes brain growth. Importantly for children with ADHD, it also leads to better sleep, which in turn can reduce the symptoms of ADHD.
- Help your child eat right. To manage symptoms of ADHD, schedule regular healthy meals or snacks every three hours and cut back on junk and sugary food.
- Teach your child how to make friends. Help him or her become a better listener, learn to read people’s faces and body language, and interact more smoothly with others.
Also, we have a new tool called FOCUS. It is a computerized measurement of “Attentional Control”, i.e. an individual’s capacity to choose what to pay attention to and what to ignore. Attentional control is the ability to remain focused on goal-relevant stimuli and information in the presence of potentially interfering distractions (visual and auditory). FOCUS tests, administered by our certified professionals, can help pinpoint areas of weakness in a client’s Attentional control. Furthermore, we can use that information to help customize their Play Attention plan. The FOCUS assessment in conjunction with the Play Attention suite, brings structured practice of Attentional control, behavior shaping, and neurofeedback technology comfortably within your family’s reach.